Sunday, May 23, 2010

10km in 1hr 1min

Yesterday was the Passion run 10km race. I assume about 10,000 people took part; but official numbers are not out yet. Normally I can run 10km in under 55 mins. My last timing was 51mins. But a few weeks back, I found out that I was not running with the correct technique. Beginners usually make the mistake of running as they were walking...i.e not running on the balls of their feet (front half of the feet). If you don't run on the balls of your feet, the force on impact will transfer to your bone...causing spinal, knee and ankle injuries in the future. The correct technique is to run on the balls of your feet and let the force transfer to your calf muscles. And since I haven't run this way ever, I was still getting used to it...and my calf muscles were not developed enough for 10km runs. This slowed me down to just above the 1 hr mark. I am happy that I was able to make it at 1hr 1min though with just a few weeks on the new technique. I'm sure I will be able to break the 50min barrier after some more practice with my new running technique. Will post my official timing as soon as they are out.

EDIT: The official times are out...and my watch time was almost a perfect match to the official times. The official time is 1hr 0 mins 52 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment